Re: Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 12:34:20AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> One thing I forgot to mention in my original reply to jwb (it was
> getting long) is that there's a conundrum that applies quite
> specifically to Mac support, and it's this: there are quite a lot of
> people who want to run Fedora on Macs (seemingly, at least) but very
> few in a position to test installs for new releases.

Hi,

I think this is a big problem.
If we have a "class" of users that have special needs (aka: very
specific hardware/software/bios/...) and they never tests things, I see
this more as their problem than other people problem.

> The reason is pretty simple: very few people have a disposable Mac.
> About 90% of the time, the Mac people want to install Fedora on is
> their personal laptop. So of course they're not willing to test
> installing some random pre-Beta nightly snapshot and tell us if
> everything explodes. We also can't i) easily or ii) legally (AFAIK)
> install OS X into a VM on non-Apple hardware for testing.

I don't see why people should not have a disposable Macs but is "normal"
to have a disposable PC.
Also, AFAIK, Mac users tend to substitute their machines more often than
PC users (at least statistically speaking), so many of them should have
a 2-3 years old machine laying around.

> We could, I suppose, try to get a few Mac users to look into testing in
> VMs on their Macs. But beyond that we need people with 'burner' Macs,
> and there aren't very many of them. We (Fedora QA) have just one old
> Mac Mini.

I think VM testing on Mac would not produce any more insights than VM
testing on PC.

Best,
Fale
--
Fabio Alessandro Locati
Red Hat - Senior Consultant

PGP Fingerprint: E815 3C49 2A8D FD8B 1CBD  BC85 FDB3 DF20 B2DC 9C1B