Re: Bodhi For Rawhide?

Vít Ondruch wrote:
> I am thinking, why we don't have enabled Bodhi for Rawhide? I know that
> you might think now that I went nut and it is bureaucracy, but let me
> explain.
>
> If I understand it correctly, during several past years, our build
> process was more streamlined and we are trying to do the Rawhide
> composes in a similar fashion we are doing stable releases. But for some
> reason, we are still not using Bodhi for Rawhide and I see no reasons
> not to use it. Here are some benefits if we were using Bodhi:
>
> * One of the nice things which Bodhi does is running several check, such
> as depcheck, rpmlint (actually question if we are using rpmlint for
> Fedora builds was what triggered this email), etc. On one hand, I'd love
> to see these checks running in Koji, but there is no support for them
> and I don't even see the support coming. So enabling Bodhi for Rawhide
> would give us this opportunity.

Either add these checks to Koji or just do them in a separate, post-build
check somewhere (maybe as part of the nightly composes). (You wouldn't want
such nitpicks to block builds in Rawhide anyway, it would hinder actual
development.)

> It is actually quite interesting, that while most of the development
> happens in Rawhide, there is less sanity checks then for the Rawhide, so
> if you screw up something in Rawhide, it will get into stable version
> and you might not notice until you submit some stable update.

So, if we are not running the checks periodically, we can at least run them
the time we enable Bodhi on the new release branch. There is no actual need
to run them all the time.

> * From time to time, there is necessary to build some framework, which
> consist of several components which must be released together.
> Currently, we either temporarily break Rawhide or we are asking for side
> tag. But why not use koji for that? Users of stable releases are not
> affected by incomplete builds, since the don't reach even the
> update-testing without pushing via Bodhi.

Users should be using a stable release, not Rawhide. Rawhide is for doing
development, it is not meant to be used.

> * And probably last think, why the Rawhide should be really exception?
> Why we should not use Bodhi if we are using it anywhere else?

Because it slows down the whole workflow. You would not be able to submit a
build and move on, you would have to actually wait for it to complete and
file an update. You also would not be able to do any chain builds.

> Lets use Bodhi for Rawhide, where the submitted update would immediately
> go into Rawhide, unless maintainer wishes some testing period.

Please no.

        Kevin Kofler