Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fedora-packaging] Re: why the Group tag is obsolete ?]

Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Many thanks by your reply, yes or creterepo could use appdata directly,
> makes sense improve createrepo with appdata, btw I noticie, apper (kde
> software manager) on Fedora 24 fails on search groups with:
> "SearchGroups not supported by backend" , what tools we have to read
> appdata ?

AppData is the source format (that individual packages ship), the metadata
software installers can actually work on is called AppStream (and is
periodically generated from the AppData of all packages in the
distribution).

The KDE software installer using AppStream is called Plasma Discover (or in
short, just Discover).

Apper cannot browse groups in current Fedora releases because the
PackageKit-hif backend (still!) does not support the required feature. The
old PackageKit-yum was able to enumerate comps groups. (Most other
PackageKit backends implement equivalent functionality, based on whatever
grouping mechanism the respective distribution uses.) That functionality was
never implemented in PackageKit-hif.

        Kevin Kofler