Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fedora-packaging] Re: why the Group tag is obsolete ?]

On jueves, 27 de octubre de 2016 5:39:20 PM CDT Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Qui, 2016-10-27 at 09:30 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2016-10-27 at 17:24 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > > Hello, I'd like understand how groups of package are now detect ,
> > > specially in 3rd repo packages  which can't use comps.xml.
> >
> > Sure they can. Third party repos can provide comps, and all Fedora
> > packaging tools will use it. RPMFusion, for instance, includes comps
> > data.
>
> Where ? but my main question is how apper or gnome-software knows the
> categories of the packages ?

There is a mechanism to refernece the appdata in repomd.xml what is needed is
to close a gap and make it possible to put the appdata into rpm headers so
that createrepo can extract the data and make the metadata on the fly. afaik
the gnome-software folks and rpm folks were going to work on a solution  a
year or two back and it has not materialised. having to extract files and data
from inside rpm payloads is expensive, clunky and cumbersome.

Dennis