Re: Bodhi For Rawhide?

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:48:24AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> My concern isn't "how do we get Bikeshed tested".  It's "how do we
> make sure Rawhide continues to be tested if Bikeshed exists and
> promises to be somehow a more stable rawhide".

Simple: it probably wouldn't.

> Rawhide testing today is very minimal.  If Bikeshed is a thing that
> appears to be the sweet spot that is essentially a stable rolling
> release, what purpose does rawhide then serve to the average
> user/tester?  For that matter, I'd actually be concerned that it would
> pull testers off of the actual releases as well.

The average tester/user would prefer Bikeshed to Rawhide; Rawhide would
just be a raw source of possibly-not-working-together packages.
Hopefully, the increase in usefulness/stability would increase the
number of early testers overall. I'm not -- yet -- worried about
drawing testers from the actual releases simply because the number of
people using rawhide right now is so low — about a fifth of what we see
for betas and a fraction of a percent compared to people who run the
releases.

I'm also fine with the idea of instead making Rawhide itself the
more-carefully-gated thing (maybe with the automatic side-tag idea),
but last time we talked about this there seemed to be some preference
for leaving Rawhide as it is and making a new thing. I don't really
care as long as we call *something* Bikeshed.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>