Re: Private Bugzilla bugs

On Fri, 2016-10-21 at 20:56 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Bugzilla is specifically not designed for keeping sensitive stuff

Really? Every Bugzilla that I regularly work with (GNOME, WebKit, Red
Hat) has this feature. If you have a mailing list auto-CCed to a
component, well yeah that screws it up, but otherwise it seems to work
fine?

Now, ABRT's heuristic for whether to make the bug private is really
terrible; you can imagine that any application that uses hash tables
will have "key" in the backtrace, and those all get set to private
unless the reporter decides to uncheck the box. So I never bother to
check what ABRT thinks is possibly-sensitive because it's *almost*
always wrong. Nor do I ever ask users for permission to set their bugs
public; the bug is usually never going to get fixed unless upstream can
see the backtrace, and there's almost never anything sensitive in the
backtrace. I do sanity-check the backtraces to check for obvious
sensitive data before setting them public. Nobody has complained yet.

So I think the default is bad, but the functionality really is useful
to have if used more sparingly. Occasionally people will file a WebKit
bug and ooops there's a porn URL in the command line or the backtrace,
which can be embarrassing. Sometimes users don't care, sometimes they
do, and it's good to be able to mark those as private. Adam had another
example with passwords.

Michael