Re: Private Bugzilla bugs

On Fri, 2016-10-21 at 20:25 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Why does Bugzilla allow filing private Fedora bugs?
>
> I'm not sure who has the capability (it may be tied to specific
> accounts).  It is not all that helpful because accounts on the Cc: list
> still receive notifications and can access the bug.  Recipients of the
> notifications may include public mailing lists.  This is probably not
> what people make bugs private expect.
>
> The other problem is that I keep having to ask people filing private
> bugs if it is okay with them to make them public, and then to open the
> bugs again if they accidentally turn it private afterwards.
>
> Surely it's best to remove this capability from Bugzilla?

One major reason is for abrt reports; the data abrt submits can include
sensitive stuff. abrt actually tries to detect if there is any
possibly-sensitive information in any of the stuff it uploads and makes
the bug private by default if so. This mechanism tends to be overly
sensitive, and is probably the #1 source of private Fedora bugs. But it
*is* a genuine case: we actually discovered a couple of cases back in
2013-4 of abrt-filed bugs containing users' passwords. Making those
private isn't a perfect fix - as you say, there's still a lot of people
who can access them - but it at least stops absolutely anyone from
being able to scrape them out of bugzilla (and all the search engine
bots and so on).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey