Re: including EOL and vulnerable software in Fedora

On 11 October 2016 at 02:18, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Charalampos Stratakis wrote:
>> tox is THE main reason for multiple interpreters in Fedora.
>>
>> So no the comments are not contradictory but it seems there is a lack of
>> (technical) understanding of the actual situation here, but I may be wrong
>> here, so please correct me if you think so.
>>
>> tox is not just any package, so maybe it is not stressed out I guess from
>> the original descriptions.
>
> If no package is allowed to require the old Pythons (and IMHO, "Recommends:"
> is "require"), that also applies to tox. If tox is allowed to recommend the
> old Pythons, that invalidates the claim that they will never be dragged in
> as dependencies. What tox uses the old Pythons for does not change anything
> to the contradiction.

As Petr clarified, these old Python runtimes are effectively optional
pieces of Fedora's tox package - they're just broken out as "pythonXY"
packages since that makes them more consistent with the way Python
runtimes are packaged normally and allows for easier SRPM sharing with
EPEL and downstream.

If it's only the package names that bother folks, then they could
technically be namespaced as "tox-pythonXY" in Fedora, but that seems
like imposing additional work on tooling maintainers (as well as
creating inconsistencies between mainline Fedora and EPEL) for no
practical benefit to anyone.

If, on the other hand, the claim is that these particular Python
developer tools shouldn't be in the main repository for Fedora at all,
then that runs counter to the user experience goals of Fedora
Workstation: "The system will primarily be aimed at providing a
platform for development of server side and client applications that
is attractive to a range of developers - from hobbyists and students
to developers working in corporate environments."

Now, it may be that the Fedora Modularity project will eventually say
"Hey, Python development and testing utilities can be a module!", and
we'll see both tox and the additional Python runtimes move to that
maintenance model. In the long run, that's almost certainly a good
idea. Today though, the best possible developer experience that Fedora
can provide is for "dnf install tox" to *just work*, and give you an
environment for testing software compatibility against multiple
versions of Python from 2.6 through to 3.5+.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncoghlan@xxxxxxxxx   |   Brisbane, Australia