Re: including EOL and vulnerable software in Fedora

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Kofler" <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx>
To: devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2016 4:14:30 PM
Subject: Re: including EOL and vulnerable software in Fedora

> Your explanation does not solve the inherent contradiction between:

>> churchyard (in the FESCo tracker):
>> | These packages are not intended to be used as dependencies for other
>> | packages (such as we have some "compat" packages when another package
>> | needs an older version of a library), hence we want to stop people from
>> | requiring them

>and:

>> Nick Coghlan (in this thread):
>>> The addition of these packages to Fedora means that as soon as you do
>>> "dnf install tox", those runtimes are all brought in automatically via
>>> Recommends

tox is THE main reason for multiple interpreters in Fedora.

So no the comments are not contradictory but it seems there is a lack of (technical) understanding of the actual situation here, but I may be wrong here, so please correct me if you think so.

tox is not just any package, so maybe it is not stressed out I guess from the original descriptions.

This is the work in progress (posted also to one of the tickets) for the fedora developers portal where use cases are explained[0].

[0] https://github.com/hroncok/content/blob/c893f742cad6458ba010748b3e1683dba5671b84/tech/languages/python/multiple-pythons.md

Regards,

Charalampos Stratakis
Associate Software Engineer