Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 21:51 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I personally think that wiping all existing data on the USB stick is
> extremely user-unfriendly. A non-destructive method that just works would
> make everyone happy (both the majority that wants something that just works,
> no matter how, and those who want the non-destructive method). It is sad
> that liveusb-creator chickened out and implemented the dd option instead of
> fixing the issues with the non-destructive method, and that the rewrite is
> even destructive only. The wasted space due to the lack of a persistent
> overlay is also sad.

The problem is that it's very difficult to do *all of the following*:

1. Write the stick non-destructively
2. Ensure it boots on as many systems as possible via BIOS
3. Ensure it boots on as many systems as possible via UEFI
4. Ensure it boots on Macs (a special case of 3, basically)

there are all kinds of considerations in achieving 2, 3 and 4 with a
single stick, and trying to achieve 1 as well immediately makes 2, 3
and 4 massively harder. Not caring about 1 makes 2, 3 and 4 a lot
easier.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey