Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

Agree with Kamil.  Do one thing and do it well.

Cheers,

Sylvia

On 04/10/16 09:46, Kamil Paral wrote:
If we do not 'support' livecd-iso-to-disk any more, we no longer
support:

1) persistent storage (via overlays)
2) non-destructive write
Does anyone know why we can't have Fedora Media Writer support these
functions as well?
I hope it won't. Or if it will, I hope it won't be the default, it will be well hidden, and we won't block on it. Because especially the non-destructive write is a can of worms. It almost never works for standard users, unless you have a very good understanding what a bootloader is and whether you should replace it or not. Most people don't need it (everyone has a small flash drive to be completely overwritten these days), and those who do, they can easily use livecd-iso-to-disk with its heap of magical cmdline switches.

So no, I don't see why our default tool which is intended to be simple and user friendly should support alternative modes of operations for <1% of our user base. Do one thing and do it well.