Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

On Mon, 2016-10-03 at 20:03 +0000, John Florian wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-10-03 at 12:07 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> If we do not 'support' livecd-iso-to-disk any more, we no longer
> support:
>
> 1) persistent storage (via overlays)
> 2) non-destructive write
>

> I've known for quite some time that livecd-tools was/is to be
> replaced with livemedia-creator, but only now did I realize that lm-c
> won't have persistent storage -- I simply have never had the time to
> explore it.  I'm extremely dependent on the persistent storage as my
> whole day job revolves around making hundreds of little mostly-
> stateless appliances for data collection purposes and has so since
> F13 or so.  These have been built with livecd-iso-to-disk and lots of
> glue via specialized kickstarts and other custom packages.  These
> appliances leverage a stateless OS very robustness, but do expect
> some persistent storage for their management.  So the above certainly
> caught my attention.

There's a slight misconception in the above.

livemedia-creator *creates the image files themselves*. We're not
talking about that in this thread. We're talking about the tools for
taking an image that's been created - whether by livecd-creator or
livemedia-creator or anything else - and writing them to a USB stick.

The 'persistence' feature requires support both in the image itself and
in the tool used to write it. I believe livemedia-creator-produced
images are set up to support persistence, just like livecd-creator-
produced images were.

The issue here is that we are discussing what tools for *writing the
image to a USB stick* should be 'supported' / 'recommended' / whatever,
and we'd kinda like to drop livecd-iso-to-disk from that group, but it
is currently the only one of the 'write image to stick' tools which
supports persistence.

No-one's proposing dropping livecd-iso-to-disk entirely at present, so
you will still be able to attempt to write sticks with persistent
storage, but we are discussing effectively a downgrade in how much
testing it gets and how much we care if it's broken.

It is worth noting that we've never formally tested the persistence
features in any case, so we would never have blocked a release for
'persistence doesn't work right' anyhow. But at present we do, by
policy, block the release if writing sticks with livecd-iso-to-disk
doesn't work.

> Are there plans to get persistent storage capabilities into lm-c?
>
> Also, after much work I managed to get my live ISO spins generated
> out of a private Koji setup.  I see there a warning "spin-livecd is
> deprecated and will be replaced with spin-livemedia" -- I assume this
> related, true?  If so, do any improvements to lm-c (say to add
> persistence) automagically benefit the "spin-livemedia" method in
> Koji?

Well, yeah. 'spin-livecd' is the Koji method for creating images with
livecd-creator; it's now deprecated and never used in the official
Fedora Koji instance, Fedora live images are all now created with the
'spin-livemedia' method. 'spin-livemedia' is the Koji method for
creating images with livemedia-creator.

So since what 'spin-livemedia' *does* is create a live image using
livemedia-creator, of course any changes to livemedia-creator will be
reflected when you create an image with the Koji 'spin-livemedia'
method.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey