Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

On Mon, 2016-10-03 at 12:07 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
If we do not 'support' livecd-iso-to-disk any more, we no longer
support:

1) persistent storage (via overlays)
2) non-destructive write

I've known for quite some time that livecd-tools was/is to be replaced with livemedia-creator, but only now did I realize that lm-c won't have persistent storage -- I simply have never had the time to explore it.  I'm extremely dependent on the persistent storage as my whole day job revolves around making hundreds of little mostly-stateless appliances for data collection purposes and has so since F13 or so.  These have been built with livecd-iso-to-disk and lots of glue via specialized kickstarts and other custom packages.  These appliances leverage a stateless OS very robustness, but do expect some persistent storage for their management.  So the above certainly caught my attention.

Are there plans to get persistent storage capabilities into lm-c?

Also, after much work I managed to get my live ISO spins generated out of a private Koji setup.  I see there a warning "spin-livecd is deprecated and will be replaced with spin-livemedia" -- I assume this related, true?  If so, do any improvements to lm-c (say to add persistence) automagically benefit the "spin-livemedia" method in Koji?

--
John Florian <john.florian@xxxxxxxx>