Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-10-03 at 12:49 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Based on today's blocker review meeting discussion, and this email
>> thread [1] I'd like to propose making only Fedora Media Writer the
>> *officially supported* USB installation media creation tool, starting
>> with Fedora 26.
>>
>> The practical implication of "officially support" means bugs for which
>> we'd block the release. It doesn't make sense to block the release if
>> myriad tools all don't succeed. We only really need one to work, and
>> Fedora Media Writer is the cross platform tool we're investing in long
>> term.
>>
>> The main idea of the proposal is to no longer block the release when
>> Fedora Media Writer is working, but some other possibly useful ways of
>> creating media aren't working. It doesn't mean those tools won't be
>> fixed, or would be removed from the distribution, just means we're not
>> holding up release for those alternative tools.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> There is currently no real way to use FMW on non-Fedora Linux
> distributions that don't a) support Flatpak and b) have an appropriate
> Flatpak runtime for running FMW on (beyond compiling it yourself, I
> guess).

I don't understand this. How does blocking Fedora help if some
non-Fedora distro can't write an otherwise valid Fedora image?

The ISO creation method isn't changing, and FMW effectively does a
write that's dd-based, therefore if FMW works on Fedora, dd would work
also so long as the distro's copy of dd works.

> If we do not 'support' livecd-iso-to-disk any more, we no longer
> support:
>
> 1) persistent storage (via overlays)
> 2) non-destructive write

Is someone able to take over for Brian (bcl)  as the maintainer, and
will be able to provide quick fixes that would otherwise block the
release? Until that's established, then I'd say it has insufficient
support for its bugs to be release blocking.

--
Chris Murphy