Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 09:16:12AM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Over on Windows and macOS, there is no such thing as a non-destructive
> install media creation. It warns but obliterates the entire stick.
> They also don't have persistence. So I think you're on very solid
> ground calling both features edge cases, and as such probably not
> reasonable to block a release on if it weren't to work.

For these systems and most of their user base, installing the OS from
scratch already is an edge case. Most people use the preinstalled copy
that came with their machine. It wasn't that long ago that you couldn't
install them from an USB stick at all but had to use some kind of
optical disc. Long into the 2000's you had to use a freakin' floppy
drive to inject storage device drivers into the Windows install process.

Fedora is not in a position to impose such ridiculous demands on its
users and I, for one, wouldn't want to even if we could.

That's not to say we should block the release for persistence-enabled
live media. I don't think we should. It's just that the Windows or MacOS
install process isn't a very useful comparison for our needs. Fedora
has a far more diverse set of use-cases than any of these systems and
thus requires much more flexibility in its installation infrastructure.