Re: F26 proposal: Make Fedora Media Writer the officially supported USB install media creator

On Tue, 2016-10-04 at 03:50 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 3:46 AM, Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If we do not 'support' livecd-iso-to-disk any more, we no longer
> > support:
> >
> > 1) persistent storage (via overlays)
> > 2) non-destructive write
>

> Does anyone know why we can't have Fedora Media Writer support these
> functions as well?
>

> I hope it won't. Or if it will, I hope it won't be the default, it will be well hidden, and we won't block on it. Because especially the non-destructive write is a can of worms. It almost never works for standard users, unless you have a very good understanding what a bootloader is and whether you should replace it or not. Most people don't need it (everyone has a small flash drive to be completely overwritten these days), and those who do, they can easily use livecd-iso-to-disk with its heap of magical cmdline switches.
>

> That sounds more like we should revisit how we do those features
> rather than anything else. When livecd-iso-to-disk was created, we
> didn't have things like OverlayFS that may potentially simplify how we
> support this greatly. Most flash drives I've seen in use are at least
> 2x larger than the Fedora images, so it's almost wasteful that we
> can't leverage that extra space.

It's simply the case that no-one's cared enough about those features to
rewrite them. A few people have kicked around ideas for how to do it at
various points, but it's never gone beyond that.

There are other bits of the live image infrastructure that are severely
outdated too, and which no-one has chosen (or been paid) to modernize;
the obvious one is the way we do a lot of customization of the live
environment, by creating a couple of sysv services on the fly in the
%post sections of the live image kickstarts. The kickstarts in general
have a whole pile of junk in them.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey