Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 00:18:21 -0400
Eric Griffith <egriffith92@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm just thinking out loud here, but, given that rpm-ostree does not
> use grubby, and we do have the Bootloader Spec, and no other distro
> uses grubby, would it be prudent to take a really hard look at
> whether grubby is still a path we want to walk?

Well, the bootloader spec has a lot of things missing that we
expect/want to support. Like multibooting, BIOS boot chainloading
booting, etc.

Matthew Garrett started working on proposed changes to the spec:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/MatthewGarrett/BootLoaderSpec/
but the owners of the spec didn't seem to interested in those cases and
Matthew went on to other work.

So, I think we would need to get buyin to get our changes into the spec
and get everyone to agree on it before we would want to move to it.

kevin