Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

As for the KDE part:

Adam Williamson wrote:
> The 'standard Fedora solution' for KDE is...well I don't know,

The standard updater on the KDE Spin is plasma-pk-updates. The other tools
can also do updates (or at least they claim to be able to), but the applet
in the system tray that automatically notifies users of updates (and can
also be manually refreshed) and performs them is plasma-pk-updates. The
intention is that people should not be firing up a windowed application to
do updates manually at all, they should just OK the automatic notification
in the system tray (i.e., click on the "Install Updates" button).

> because KDE being KDE it ships three different package management GUIs,

There are 3 different package management GUIs not because "KDE is KDE", but
because we had to work around at least 2 issues with Apper:
1. a Fedora-specific issue: the PackageKit-hif backend (still) does not
   implement the APIs to enumerate comps groups that Apper needs (which is
   the main reason Discover was added, so that people can browse packages –
   Discover uses AppStream instead of PackageKit for that), and
2. an upstream issue: Apper was not ported to KF5 (there is now an
   experimental port), and Plasma 4 (libplasma 1) widgets/plasmoids cannot
   be used in Plasma 5 (libplasma 2), so the standalone applet
   plasma-pk-updates was written (which is likely to stay because it is
   already better than the Apper plasmoid ever was, it shows information
   Apper displays only if you bring up the full UI).

We are looking into replacing Apper with something working better, but right
now, the most likely candidate would be dnfdragora + plasma-pk-updates
(dnfdragora itself has no applet, and is unlikely to get one because it is a
cross-desktop solution using the toolkit abstraction libyui; Mageia, where
dnfdragora comes from, is also going to implement plasma-pk-updates), and I
am not sure Discover is going to be kicked out, either (some people really
believe in AppStream – if it was up to me, Discover would be shown the door
as soon as dnfdragora is implemented). Unfortunately, since, unlike the 3
current tools, dnfdragora does not use PackageKit (but dnfdaemon), it will
not really mean fewer ways to do updates. We are not going to patch out
updating support from the package management applications.

        Kevin Kofler