Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 17:05:45 -0400
> Eric Griffith <egriffith92@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone answer this relatively simple question: "Why grubby?" I've
>> seen a number of discussions on various topics surrounding the boot
>> loader that all seem to devolve into "We would love to support that,
>> but grubby doesn't, so we can't."
>>
>> At what point does the maintenance burden of using grubby outweigh
>> its own benefits?
>>
>> I don't ask this rhetorically, or because I particularly want to see
>> grubby gone. I just don't see the benefit that we get from having
>> grubby when other distros seem to get by just fine without it, or if
>> they do use it, it doesn't seem to be getting in their way.
>
> Well, I don't know the full history here, but IMHO, the problem is that
> the way grub2 does config is not very ideal.

It's not. And OS discovery is fraught with problems also.

One alternative is Bootloader Spec drop-in scripts. Fedora's GRUB
carries a patch to support them in the blscfg.mod, but it implements
it in an early interpretation of the spec. rpm-ostree creates drop in
scripts per this spec, but instead of depending on blscfg.mod to use
them directly, rpm-ostree calls a helper to use the scripts as source
material to generate new grub.cfg or extlinux.conf (both bootloaders
are supported). rpm-ostree doesn't use grubby at all.

> Perhaps other distros have figured out better ways to deal with this, I
> don't know. If someone wanted to go and survey this and report back
> that information might be of help.

I don't have a complete or recent evaluation but as of a couple years
ago, before Gene Czarcinski passed away, we found no other
distribution using grubby. Distros we ran into use grub-mkconfig as
recommended by upstream to obliterate the existing grub.cfg and create
an entirely new one.

--
Chris Murphy