Re: Redefinition of the primary and secondary architectures

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-08-04 at 21:02 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> On 04/08/16 20:48, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>

>> > The page says that Koji will be modified to run all the per-arch build
>> > tasks to completion even if one fails (as opposed to how it behaves
>> > now, cancelling all the other arch tasks as soon as any one fails), but
>> > a failure of any of them will still constitute a failure of the overall
>> > task.
>>
>> Well that's how I read it at first as well, but if you read on it talks
>> about how to deal with subsequent builds seeing different libraries if
>> some builds had failed, which implies the task wouldn't be failed and
>> the builds had worked would be published.
>>
>> So currently I think we can only say it's somewhat unclear what the plan
>> is...
>
> It talks about that as a *justification* for not doing it:
>
> "The issue with not failing all builds when a single arch fails is how
> we deal with any builds that are dependent on that package?"
>
> i.e. it's saying the reason they chose *not* to allow builds to succeed
> with some arches failing is because of the problem of dependent
> packages then being out of sync across arches.

That's already the situation now, anyway. And we're not unique in
this. Debian does things similarly with their autobuilder/buildd
system. If anything we probably just need some way to track on a per
arch level to warn when it happens so that the right people can deal
with the situation.