Re: Redefinition of the primary and secondary architectures

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-08-04 at 11:41 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> On Thu, 2016-08-04 at 16:07 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > We are planning to change the way Alternate Architectures (non x86_64)
>> > are handled
>> > in terms of "primary" vs "secondary". The definition of what is
>> > primary or secondary
>> > is already handled more in terms of the build artifact outputs (images, LiveCDs,
>> > installers, containers etc) for i686 deliverables. As part of this redefinition
>> > this means that the location in "koji instances" of the rpm builds is removed as
>> > a part of the definition requirement of what constitutes
>> > primary/secondary and the
>> > architectures are named "Alternate Architectures" (and Experimental
>> > architectures
>> > for the likes of MIPs/RISC-V) as opposed to primary/secondary. As a
>> > result of this
>> > change it is planned to merge the old "secondary" koji instances into a single
>> > koji instance along with all the current "Primary" architectures.
>> >
>> > All the details of the proposal along with FAQ have been put on a wiki
>> > page here[1]
>> > so please go and read it and ask any questions that aren't answered in
>> > the FAQ here.
>>
>> I do have serious concerns about the impact of this in terms of build
>> failures. Reading the reply to " Q: Why do I have to worry about
>> s390x/powerpc/aarch64 when I didn't before?", it implies there will be
>> no change to koji in terms of build failures: i.e. a failure on *any*
>> arch will cause the entire build to be failed.
>
> Sorry, just saw there was a more specific entry for my concern,
> "Q: Will a single arch failure affect the overall build failure?" Still
> not 100% sure, but thanks for addressing it.

I think the solid way to address this is to make each architecture
independent and don't stop the build for any arch if any other arch
fails. The total failure state can be figured out once all the arches
have completed and based on criteria on which ones are considered
fatal or not, it would make a judgement. This is how it is done in
Youri for Mageia. When we submit packages to build, all architectures
build. However, only a failure in i586 and x86_64 triggers the failed
state. Builds in armv5tl and armv7hl do not.