Re: Requiring package test instructions

On 07/13/2016 01:38 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:26:20PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
It would not be 'a lot of work', it would be a gigantic, totally
unsustainable burden. I honestly think you're shooting *way* too high
here. Even with all the recent volunteers, we have like a couple dozen
I agree it is a massive task, which is why it hasn't gotten off the
ground for glibc over the last year.  However I remain optimistic that
someone someday will do at least a fraction of the automation :)
There are many levels of functionality before you get to the coverage you're talking about.
I have bugzilla cases against distributed packages that
  • failed to correctly update during routine system updates (last one yesterday, 1355916)
  • failed to start (crashed before getting to first prompt/window)
  • started the application but crashed on a simplest function

I think the functionality you're talking about (checking correctness of bug fixes, etc) should be left to the original bug reporters. After all, they raised the issue so they are invested in the result.

Automation of those checks is tricky: bugzilla does ask for 'steps to reproduce' and actual vs. expected results but we'd have to really come up with a better technology to translate that into automated test cases. It's something that looks desirable and even doable, but not quite easy.