Re: Requiring package test instructions (was: Re: Too fast karma on Bodhi updates)

On Wed, 2016-07-13 at 08:21 +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 03:45:54PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > Bodhi works at the source package level, not binary package level.
>
> I think Jon's point was with respect to the scope of testing.  With
> glibc (or libstdc++ that Jon would be concerned with), an ideal set of
> sanity tests would cover the library as well as its development files*.

> It will be a lot of work for each tester though.  We had talked about
> using tunir or taskatron to automate some of it last year, but I don't
> think there has been any progress on that front.
>
> Siddhesh
>
> * Well with glibc it would be library, devel, locales, networking and
>   boot, to begin to name a few things.

It would not be 'a lot of work', it would be a gigantic, totally
unsustainable burden. I honestly think you're shooting *way* too high
here. Even with all the recent volunteers, we have like a couple dozen
people who volunteer to spend *some* time testing updates. There is no
way we are going to be running rigorous full functionality tests on
every update, and honestly, it's not even reasonable to *expect* that,
because it should be done far earlier in the process than 'distribution
package updates'. What we can realistically do for distribution package
updates is basic functionality tests and (if feasible) bug
verification.

We have, what, ~10k packages in the distro. We have at least a few
hundred just on the *critical path*. Some of those are things like, oh
say, *entire desktop environments*, which you'd be looking at a week of
solid full time work to test *fully*. We have database stacks, whole
things like fedmsg that you need a solid couple of days' reading to set
up a dev environment of, stuff like FreeIPA which RH has entire teams
dedicated to testing...

we are not going to be doing comprehensive testing of all of this
stuff, either manually or automated, at the distribution level. It's
not feasible and it's not even *sensible*, because it'd essentially be
a huge project of doing work in the wrong place. Comprehensive
functionality testing of glibc does not belong in a distribution, it
belongs in the glibc project. What makes sense to test at the
distribution level is 'does this glibc, which we trust upstream to
assert is at least vaguely functional in and of itself, have any
unfortunate interactions with the rest of Fedora?', which boils down
to, get a few people to install it and run with it for a day or two and
see if anything looks wonky. That's the level of testing we
realistically have the resources for - either doing manually, or
writing automated tests for - at the distribution level.
--

Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey