Re: Requiring package test instructions (was: Re: Too fast karma on Bodhi updates)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:49:14 -0700
Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I've been discussing this with various people in the last few days,
> and one specific idea has come out of that which I'd like to float.
>
> We've been hesitant to suggest this before as we thought packagers
> might not like the idea, but we figured it can't hurt to at least
> suggest it.
>
> The idea is this: there could be a requirement for all packages to
> provide at least *some* kind of 'how to test' information.
>
> Looked at from the perspective of a new tester, the current system is
> quite difficult to handle when it comes to upgrades of packages which
> aren't obviously part of the critical path (e.g. kernel) or a well-
> known GUI application package (e.g. firefox).
>
> How do we *expect* a new tester to respond when they come to an update
> for fedmsg-meta-fedora-infrastructure , in Bodhi or fedora-easy-karma?
> It's very difficult - probably impossible - for them to know or work
> out what they should actually do to test this package.
>
> Of course, writing instructions for every single package is a lot of
> work, but right now we have test cases for very few packages, and it
> would definitely help if we could significantly increase that number.
>
> What do people think about this idea?

Well, I'm not sure. How would the requirement be enforced?

Packages without such test cases couldn't get any +1s?

I think thats probably a bit harsh. We could try and encourage people
to add them however, perhaps series of badges for writing test case
pages? Or a note/warning on the bodhi page or fedora-easy-karma noting
that there's no tests?

Some packages are definitely going to be harder than others...

kevin