Re: multi-CPU optimization inside a distribution

On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 11:35:27AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> If I could afford it, I'd pay a significant premium to get a Talos board.
> But as it is, I'm going to be stuck using second hand, pretty old computers
> for the foreseeable future.

And even though "significant premium" is a polite understatement in this
case, the Talos was the cheapest [proposed] POWER8 solution by a
substantial margin.

I've also been quite disappointed in the AArch64 offerings so far.

With very few exceptions (eg Gigabyte's mostly-unobtainable MP30-AR0 or
some locked-down appliance-type servers) they've all been ultra-dense
high-end boxes (dozens of cores per U) priced into the stratosphere or
glorified cell phone devkits (eg Tegra-based stuff) that don't sport
enough memory (or other expandability) to run a modern desktop OS.

/rant

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^