Re: multi-CPU optimization inside a distribution

On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 00:34:02 -0400,
 Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To get developers they need to get a CPU/motherboard combination out
for under $1000, likely closer to $500, as these will be purchases as
a secondary system to "play with" because there is no direct way to
make money as a POWER developer (this also applies to Aarch64, which
is also looking rather absent).

There is another reason to get the power8 Talos board and that is that you get source code for the firmware and there is a reduced chance of a deliberate backdoor and bugs that are discovered will br fixable. You don't get that with recent Intel or AMD systems.

This doesn't solve problems with firmware in storage systems. They also weren't able to include complete documentation related to some parts used because of NDAs.

This is still a significant change, and if people want to see hardware makers move in this direction voting with your wallet helps.

If I could afford it, I'd pay a significant premium to get a Talos board. But as it is, I'm going to be stuck using second hand, pretty old computers for the foreseeable future.