Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

On Thu, 2016-06-02 at 18:01 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Gerd Hoffmann writes:
>
> > On Do, 2016-06-02 at 10:07 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > >
> > > You are misinformed. This is not about 'obviously broken' windowing
> > > apps. Applications that have X or wayland connections get killed
> > > reliably when the session ends, because that connection is going away.
> >
> > No.
> >
> > It's sort-of default behavior, a bit simliar to how terminal apps get
> > zapped by SIGHUP when the terminal closes.  But it isn't enforced at
> > all, apps can keep running when the X or wayland connection goes away,
> > either just a short moment (firefox saving open tabs to disk, then exit)
> > or even longer in case they are running some kind of batch job which
> > they can finish without user interaction.  Or they keep on trying to
> > read from the closed connection due to some stupid bug ...
>
> ssh into a box, and start emacs. Close emacs. Logout from the shell. The
> shell logs out, but the ssh sesssion remains. The terminal session doesn't
> end because gconfd-2 is still running in the background.
>
> Why does some kind of a configuration framework API need a freaking daemon
> to run in the background? And why is that bloody thing still running after I
> logout, and especially since neither the client, nor the server, runs the
> Gnome desktop?
>
> Back when emacs converted to GTK, the switch to GTK made sense. Both emacs
> and Gnome, after all, were GNU projects. But now, years later, with Gnome
> jumping the shark it all winds up breaking unrelated stuff, like tmux and
> screen, that has nothing to do with Gnome.

gconf has been deprecated for like...five years?...now, so I'd say
yelling and screaming about GNOME is kind of missing the point here.
The more salient question being, why hasn't emacs-gtk or whatever moved
off gconf yet?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey