Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 7:14 AM, Björn Persson <Bjorn@rombobjörn.se> wrote:
> Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> And even more: after you disabled his
>> user account and logged him out, he really should be gone.
>
> After you disabled his user account, he really should be gone. If he's
> just logged out, he will be back tomorrow. Logging out is one thing.
> Disabling a user account is another. Kill any lingering processes when
> disabling the account, not every time the user logs out.
>
> A single command that both disables a user account and kills any
> processes running as that user might be handy. Anyone who thinks it's
> needed can write such a tool.

I looked and so far there does not seem to be a one-command solution.

But 3 steps suffice:
1. Disable the account so that they cannot make new sessions:

usermod -L --expiredate 1 <user>

2. Set the pid limit of the user's cgroup to 0, so that they cannot
fork new processes:

systemctl set-property user-<uid>.slice TasksMax=0

3. Kill the user's processes:

loginctl kill-user --signal=SIGKILL <user>

This could be wrapped up in a single command like "loginctl kickban
<user-or-uid>". I'm guessing a lot of sysadmins would appreciate it.

There's some trickiness involved, in that usermod does not handle
networked setups like sssd, but perfect is the enemy of good.

-- Allan Gardner