Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 04:09:19PM +0100, Howard Chu wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > I am very much in favor of systemd enforcing that the session actually
> > ends when I log out, so that I don't accidentally leave processes
> > running. Leaking session processes have been a perennial problem that
> > we have been battling forever (gconf, ibus, pulseaudio, the list goes
> > on...). And they are causing actual problems, from preventing re-login
> > to subtly breaking the next session to slowing down shutdown.
>
> So far you have only identified problems associated with GUI sessions. I
> still see no justification for terminating *all* user processes when it's
> clear there's only a problem with one very specific class of processes, all
> being launched in a very specific context.

Yeah, to me it sounds like these problematic processes should say
"kill me when the session ends", rather than others having to opt-out.

If the processes are killed by default, won't other applications start
to rely on it and users who change the default will have more and more
applications running after logout?

--
Miroslav Lichvar