Re: Plans for Node.js 6.x

On 04/27/2016 08:59 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 7:38 AM, Denise Dumas <ddumas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Sounds like a job for rhscl :-)
>>
>> Maybe?
>>
>> Having nodejs in an SCL (or eventually module) would certainly help
>> with versioning issues going forward.  However, given Fedora has
>> nodejs in the base repository today, Stephen is still left with a hard
>> choice here.  If his repoquery magic is correct then I think reverting
>> to 4.x at the base level for F24 is likely the right idea.
>>
>> I do like the idea of having 5.x and 6.x in an SCL or module or COPR
>> (all somewhat variations on a theme) though.
>>

> Would it be possible to try a nodejs 6.x build of everything in a
> side-tag or something? My understanding (based on the changelog) is
> that things should generally work, as while the ABI broke, most of the
> API remained the same.

Well, Rawhide will be moving to Node.js 6.x relatively soon and I think it's
probably safe to assume that a COPR will appear for running it on F24 if we
decide to do the downgrade (or stay on 5.x).

> Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea of using SCLs to support newer
> environments in Fedora. I'd prefer if SCLs were used to support older
> ones, with newer ones being the default.

Well, I think the idea behind modularization is that we would build a module for
each of the versions and they would follow their own lifecycle and not
necessarily be tightly dependent on the base Fedora release. Thus there wouldn't
really be a "default" for anything that wasn't a component of the foundational
module (aka the "base" module).