Re: Plans for Node.js 6.x

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 7:38 AM, Denise Dumas <ddumas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Sounds like a job for rhscl :-)
>
> Maybe?
>
> Having nodejs in an SCL (or eventually module) would certainly help
> with versioning issues going forward.  However, given Fedora has
> nodejs in the base repository today, Stephen is still left with a hard
> choice here.  If his repoquery magic is correct then I think reverting
> to 4.x at the base level for F24 is likely the right idea.
>
> I do like the idea of having 5.x and 6.x in an SCL or module or COPR
> (all somewhat variations on a theme) though.

Would it be possible to try a nodejs 6.x build of everything in a
side-tag or something? My understanding (based on the changelog) is
that things should generally work, as while the ABI broke, most of the
API remained the same.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea of using SCLs to support newer
environments in Fedora. I'd prefer if SCLs were used to support older
ones, with newer ones being the default.