Re: Plans for Node.js 6.x

On 04/27/2016 02:20 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 09:18:44AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> From https://github.com/nodejs/LTS#lts_schedule it looks like non-LTS branches
>> are maintained for about 9 months, while LTS releases are maintained for 30 months.
>>
>> So you're probably right; going forward we should probably align Fedora with
>> whichever branch is (or will become) the LTS branch for its entire lifetime.
>

> And it looks like a) LTS releases will be even-numbered and b) come out
> every October. That's kind of cutting it close with Fedora's late-October
> release target, but maybe doable assuming they have prerelease/betas we
> could put into _our_ beta, a la GNOME.

Technically, the release up to the point where they become LTS is stable but not
LTS (I don't know what exactly that means...). For Fedora, this basically means
that we should be able to land the newest version in April and it will be
API-compatible for that whole time and locked down in October.

So that should be as safe as we can realistically make it.

> I suggest putting a comment explaining "please only use LTS releases"
> (plus some of this explanation) right into the nodejs spec file.

Not a bad idea.

As it is, I think I've come to the conclusion that Fedora will drop back to the
4.x LTS for Fedora 24. Unless I hear some really compelling new information by
tomorrow morning, I'll work on that tomorrow.