Re: F24 Self Contained Change: Let's Encrypt client now in Fedora

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:41 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10 February 2016 at 14:17, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Matthew Miller
>> <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Hmmm. I'm not sure this is true -- or if it is, we might need something
>> > else. Marketing still uses the changes as a primary communication
>> > channel for this kind of thing. The Changes Policy page says "Public
>> > announcement of a new self contained change promotes cooperation on the
>> > change, and extends its visibility."
>>
>> Sigh, really?  Somewhere in the intervening years we've regressed then.
>>
>> The problem we originally addressed was that marketing would scroll
>> through the Features and randomly pick some subset to promote the
>> upcoming release.  It was terrible.  They'd choose things like "new
>> update of the D programming language" because they didn't know what
>> that meant or if it was important.  FESCo was similarly terrible at
>> figuring out which Features were neat marketing material.  Some were
>> obvious, but most were not.
>>

> We should have something better to track highlighted features I agree. TO be
> honest I'm ambivalent at best myself over whether to list this as a change.
>
> As pointed out it's backported to F23 as we didn't want to wait till F24 to
> get it out there with many people asking about it in the community.
>
> Perhaps this should just serve to spur discussion on a better way to handle
> this type of thing?

Sure.

>> > Honestly, I'm more than a little unhappy to be coming down on people
>> > for attempting to follow formal procedures and increase communication
>> > and cooperation.
>>
>> I'm not coming down on anyone.  I didn't say it wasn't important.  I
>> didn't say we shouldn't do this.  I'm asking why this is different
>> than any other new package addition we do in the distribution.  I've
>> not gotten an answer at all.  If the answer is "marketing" then we
>> should help them talk to marketing...
>>

> Marketing are aware the package exists ... I worked with them on the Fedora
> Magazine article(s) after all ... even got a >5000 view badge for it! ;)

Fantastic.

> Putting on my #centos community hat though ...
>
> Recently there was an uproar in mailing lists there and we told people to
> pay attention to Fedora ChangeSets for a loose indication on things to be
> aware of coming up.

So you took a process that originally already had problems and added
more problems by telling people to use it for things it wasn't meant
for? :)

Seriously, I understand the motivation there but Changes is not the
place to pay attention to things from a CentOS perspective.  Not every
Change will wind up in RHEL, so it is already misleading.  Further,
given the lifecycles, a Change that lands in one Fedora release may be
superseded by one in a later release.

> If new packages/technology aren't to be mentioned and only changes to
> existing technology that may affect $developer are we do need a better way
> of exposing new things that are not changes.

Yes.  New packages land in Fedora all the time.  We don't want to
require them to file a Change simply because someone in some other
project might be interested in it.  It's too much process.

If we need cross-project collaboration on things that will either be
_in_ RHEL for sure, or things that CentOS wants/needs, that is a
totally separate discussion.  One that is certainly worth having.

josh