Re: Easier %config management?

That blog seems to describe supporting a stateless use case, not for advocating that all systems should be stateless. In any case, the factory reset use case they describe is similar to some of my own.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015, 23:32 Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 3:55 AM, Harald Hoyer <harald@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16.12.2015 03:32, Colin Walters wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 06:43 PM, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps RPM (or yum/dnf, via plugin) could write a duplicate copy of all
>>> config files into a tree somewhere? (E.g., /usr/lib/config/ or
>>> /usr/share/config/?)
>>
>> I mentioned this above, but might as well repeat since it was missed; OSTree
>> (as used by the existing Fedora Atomic Host) does this by default today in
>> /usr/etc, so if one was adapting this change to the client-side system assembly
>> tools like yum/dnf, I'd say it would make sense to follow the precedent.
>>

> I already experimented with /usr/share/factory/{etc,var} , but /usr/etc sounds
> fine to me, too.

/usr/etc is expressly forbidden in the verison 3 of the File Hierarchy
System published at
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.pdf. "/etc" files
go in "/etc", and *maybe* /usr/local/etc depending on whether the
package is local to the speicific host.

Also pay attention to systemd encroaching on /etc/ The long term plan
of at least one of the core systemd deveopers is to replace locally
modifiable "/etc" with systemd program management, in order to make
Linux "stateless". There's a description of the approach at
http://0pointer.net/blog/projects/stateless.html.