Re: Easier %config management?

Am 14.12.2015 um 17:01 schrieb Christopher:
On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 3:39 PM Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
For me, I'd want the up-to-date one from the current version of the
installed packages, not the initial state... just the up-to-date state
as determined by the package maintainer. My main interest is finding
what the user changed, to make it different from the packager's defaults.

    when the system was installed versus current state?
    worthless - most of my Fedora setups are from 2008

    the current and the previous version?
    well, you need to handle cases where a config file is unchanged but the
    package is updated, that's the majority of all updates

For me, I just want to know what the user changed

what you propose can't work for that because you only compare the *current users* version with the *current package* version

that is a naive approach

i modified my "httpd.conf" based on Apache 2.2 years ago, as Fedora swicthed to Apache 2.4 your approach would have compared a customized Apache 2.2 version with a Fedora 2.4 version

the same happens to anything which has large changes over time

the moment when config formats are changing is the one where it starts to become interesting and at that moment is completly wortless to compare different generations of a config file without the full history

what you *really* would need to compare at *that moment* is your changes years ago based on the dist-version of the config file at the same moment

that's nothing you can or should try to cover with rpm - try to solve this with 1 or 2 limited copies would fail after dist-upgrades as i have already said

compare two versions is worthless, you need at least three to *get a context*

* previous dist version - CAUTION
* your current version
* now to install/installed dist-version

which previous dist-version owul dbe helpful depends, the most interesting one is that from where user changes derived and to answer that question you need more data than one copy because form the first change on the *users version* will always differ, but from which distro state did that happen