Re: Easier %config management?

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 3:55 AM, Harald Hoyer <harald@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16.12.2015 03:32, Colin Walters wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015, at 06:43 PM, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps RPM (or yum/dnf, via plugin) could write a duplicate copy of all
>>> config files into a tree somewhere? (E.g., /usr/lib/config/ or
>>> /usr/share/config/?)
>>
>> I mentioned this above, but might as well repeat since it was missed; OSTree
>> (as used by the existing Fedora Atomic Host) does this by default today in
>> /usr/etc, so if one was adapting this change to the client-side system assembly
>> tools like yum/dnf, I'd say it would make sense to follow the precedent.
>>

> I already experimented with /usr/share/factory/{etc,var} , but /usr/etc sounds
> fine to me, too.

/usr/etc is expressly forbidden in the verison 3 of the File Hierarchy
System published at
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.pdf. "/etc" files
go in "/etc", and *maybe* /usr/local/etc depending on whether the
package is local to the speicific host.

Also pay attention to systemd encroaching on /etc/ The long term plan
of at least one of the core systemd deveopers is to replace locally
modifiable "/etc" with systemd program management, in order to make
Linux "stateless". There's a description of the approach at
http://0pointer.net/blog/projects/stateless.html.