Re: no systemd in containers: Requires -> Recommends

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 10:18:10PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 17.12.2015 um 22:11 schrieb Neil Horman:
> >>
> >>that's not true
> >>
> >>on virtual machines with no load all day long PID1 is often found as number
> >>1 in htop sorted by CPU usage - multiply that with 500 and you have a
> >>*useless* and well noticeable load on the host
> >>
> >What I hear you saying is that on a system that has nothing better to do, the
> >primary monitoring process wakes up periodically to check on various system
> >aspects (cron jobs, journal rotates, etc).  That sounds like working as designed
> >to me, not a reason to throw the proverbial baby out with the bath water.  That
> >seems like a reason to do some tuning.
>
> it is wasting ressources in a container running only one process - period -
> what is there to discuss - in any serious setup there shou,ld be nothing
> installed which is not *really* needed

You're making two assumptions here:
1) That there is only one process
2) That systemd (or a component thereof) isn't needed

While you're use case is certainly valid, it isn't the only use case by a long
shot.  And if the goal for your use case is to minimize the footprint of a
container, you can already do that (as I've pointed out previously)
Neil