Re: no systemd in containers: Requires -> Recommends

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 05:54:52PM -0800, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On 12/17/2015 05:46 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> >>If the software crashes on start with permission error that's not
> >>really working in a reduced capacity.
> >
> >Exactly. So Required(post/pre/preun):systemd cannot currently be
> >changed to Recommmends, at least in the general case.
>
> It's not clear the cases you have in mind are the general case.
> There is doubtless a happy medium here, though.  Perhaps it is
> opening up the policy to promote Recommends, but leave it to
> packager discretion.  Recommends largely behaves like requires, so
> it's fairly low risk to err on the side of recommends.

Currently service enablement is very much centralized. With the
recent changes (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:DefaultServices)
and the move of presets to fedora-release this is even more true than
before. Various editions and spins modify the presets to disable/enable
stuff they need, and this hinges on all packages behaving uniformly.
Letting individual packages make the choice would break this
centralization; packages are not the right level to make this choice.

Zbyszek