Re: no systemd in containers: Requires -> Recommends

On 12/17/2015 01:43 AM, Harald Hoyer wrote:
For docker containers, or containers, which don't want systemd, the current
"Requires: systemd" in a lot of packages is preventing building a minimal image.

To improve the situation, we could make use of the new rpm weak dependencies.
So the

Requires(post): systemd
Requires(preun): systemd
Requires(postun): systemd

would become

Recommends: systemd
OrderWithRequires(post): systemd
OrderWithRequires(preun): systemd
OrderWithRequires(postun): systemd

With this in place, kickstart files could omit systemd.

The downside is:
- if systemd is installed afterwards, the %post scripts do not trigger
- packages, which need systemd-tmpfiles or systemd-sysusers could not be converted

If systemd is removed before the other packages, I don't see a problem.
There are only leftovers in /etc/systemd.

To prevent having a non-bootable system (not container), we could let the
kernel.spec have a Requires on systemd.

Comments? Please discuss.

I haven't seen a lot of downside brought up in this thread. If the only objections people have is that it doesn't facilitate their personal use cases those don't seem like real objections. Is anybody going to be really negatively impacted by such a change?

For my part I'd like to see this happen, not just for packages requiring systemd, but for all packages where "Requires" is really stronger than necessary. Now that we have soft dependencies it would be nice to go through and move to Recommends where software continues to function in some reduced capacity. Everything would still go into the composes as before and for people who like things the way they are, there isn't much downside. Meanwhile, for people who want to trim their package set to the utmost, they would be able to do so without creating fake stub packages or using hacks to get around requires.

--
Brendan Conoboy / RHEL Development Coordinator / Red Hat, Inc.