Re: no systemd in containers: Requires -> Recommends

On Thu, 2015-12-17 at 16:13 -0800, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On 12/17/2015 01:43 AM, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> > For docker containers, or containers, which don't want systemd, the current
> > "Requires: systemd" in a lot of packages is preventing building a minimal image.
> >
> > To improve the situation, we could make use of the new rpm weak dependencies.
> > So the
> >
> > Requires(post): systemd
> > Requires(preun): systemd
> > Requires(postun): systemd
> >
> > would become
> >
> > Recommends: systemd
> > OrderWithRequires(post): systemd
> > OrderWithRequires(preun): systemd
> > OrderWithRequires(postun): systemd
> >
> > With this in place, kickstart files could omit systemd.
> >
> > The downside is:
> > - if systemd is installed afterwards, the %post scripts do not trigger
> > - packages, which need systemd-tmpfiles or systemd-sysusers could not be converted
> >
> > If systemd is removed before the other packages, I don't see a problem.
> > There are only leftovers in /etc/systemd.
> >
> > To prevent having a non-bootable system (not container), we could let the
> > kernel.spec have a Requires on systemd.
> >
> > Comments? Please discuss.
>
> I haven't seen a lot of downside brought up in this thread.  If the
> only objections people have is that it doesn't facilitate their
> personal use cases those don't seem like real objections.  Is anybody
> going to be really negatively impacted by such a change?
>
> For my part I'd like to see this happen, not just for packages
> requiring systemd, but for all packages where "Requires" is really
> stronger than necessary.  Now that we have soft dependencies it would
> be nice to go through and move to Recommends where software continues
> to function in some reduced capacity.  Everything would still go into
> the composes as before and for people who like things the way they
> are, there isn't much downside.  Meanwhile, for people who want to
> trim their package set to the utmost, they would be able to do so
> without creating fake stub packages or using hacks to get around requires.

I'm OK with this *so long as* people don't start using Recommends: for
optional and heavy things. As long as we have a strong convention that
Recommends: is for things you're almost certainly going to want but
aren't technically *required*, and Suggests: is for things that are
pretty optional, it should work OK. What would concern me is if we had
a mix of packages using Recommends: for nearly-required things and
packages using Recommends: for very-optional things, because you'd then
be more or less stuck with the very-optional stuff (since if you
skipped 'Recommends' universally, you'd miss lots of important stuff
from other packages).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey