Re: no systemd in containers: Requires -> Recommends

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 04:17:37PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> So, this I think goes to the core of things: What is Fedora supposed
> to be? I always thought it was supposed to be an OS, meaning a
> provider of certain APIs, resources and functionality that apps can
> rely on. tmpfiles and things like that are part of that. At this point
> Fedora packages can rely on these things, and that's kinda what I
> think that Fedora is selling to packagers and app developers. If you
> now remove all that, what is precisely left? Do you want to go back to
> the point where nobody can depend on anything anymore? Where does this
> leave Fedora?

I think that's a reasonable-enough definition. However, "can rely on"
does not mean "always installed all the time". Packagers and app
developers — and people looking to build solutions with Fedora, like
our main editions but also spins and remixes — benefit from the ability
to deploy the parts of that support infrastructure they need and not
the parts they don't. And that, in turn, is benefited by more-flexible
systemd packaging.

> Are you proposing to deprecate use of tmpfiles/sysusers and all those
> things in packages now? What are you proposing shall take its place?

Not everything needs those tools. And not everything that needs _those_
tools needs systemd-delta and its dependencies.

And systemd-sysusers isn't even the standard Fedora way of adding
system users! Maybe it should be, but to my knowledge we've never had
that conversation. As an OS our standard API/functionality for that
shadow-utils as described in
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:UsersAndGroups>.

--
Matthew Miller