Re: no systemd in containers: Requires -> Recommends

On Thu, 17.12.15 10:43, Harald Hoyer (harald@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> For docker containers, or containers, which don't want systemd, the current
> "Requires: systemd" in a lot of packages is preventing building a
> minimal image.

What does this even mean? What are you actually "fixing" with this?
What's the sizes and deps you are talking of here, that you want to
keep out? Why does this even matter, why wouldn't he base layer be
shared anyway between all containers?

Is there any technical background for what you are trying to do? Or
are you just complicating things, to make things "feel" more minimal?
If so, can we pelase get back to technical reasoning, instead?

> - packages, which need systemd-tmpfiles or systemd-sysusers could not be converted

So, this I think goes to the core of things: What is Fedora supposed
to be? I always thought it was supposed to be an OS, meaning a
provider of certain APIs, resources and functionality that apps can
rely on. tmpfiles and things like that are part of that. At this point
Fedora packages can rely on these things, and that's kinda what I
think that Fedora is selling to packagers and app developers. If you
now remove all that, what is precisely left? Do you want to go back to
the point where nobody can depend on anything anymore? Where does this
leave Fedora?

Are you proposing to deprecate use of tmpfiles/sysusers and all those
things in packages now? What are you proposing shall take its place?

To me this all sounds very much not thought to the end.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat