Re: no systemd in containers: Requires -> Recommends

On Thu, 17.12.15 10:44, Colin Walters (walters@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015, at 10:24 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> > Can you give realistic examples for these? Can you explain what you
> > are intend to run as PID 1 in them instead?
>
> Nothing, if the pid namespace did zombie collection in the kernel,
> you don't need a separate init.

hmm? but this is not how Linux works these days, so what's the point
discussing this now?

Note that PID 1 is in more ways different than just reaping
processes... For example for PID 1, SIGTERM usually is a request for
reexecution, and SIGINT a request for reboot, while for non-PID1
processes these are requests for termination and cancelling...

> > What is cleaning up /tmp
> > for those things?
>
> You bind mount the container's /tmp to a host /tmp/container-$uuid
> for example.

Well, and what sets up all the rest listed in tmpfiles snippets?

> > What is setting up the tmpfiles bits in /run for
> > them, and so on?
>
> One would carry this in the Dockerfile or equivalent if it applies,
> although it doesn't for a lot of software.
>
> Your broader point is very valid - we're going to need a lot
> of software to run both on the host outside of a container,
> underneath systemd, but we're also trying to enable a
> fully container-only distributed/cluster model via Kubernetes/Docker,
> and in the end microservice state, it just doesn't make sense
> to have a systemd instance per microservice in a cluster.

Well, that's certainly a opinion on this. I certainly disagree. It
would essentially mean giving up on much what makes up an OS
though, in particular, about half of whatthe packaging guidelines say
what packages shall use and rely on.

If you want to replace systemd functionality with Docker
functionality, then that's fine, but I think you better make sure you
actually have replacement functionally around. Because otherwise you
just give up on platform design.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat