Re: no systemd in containers: Requires -> Recommends

On Thu, 17.12.15 10:25, Matthew Miller (mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 08:28:13AM -0500, Neil Horman wrote:
> > I would question why its necessecary to keep systemd out so ardently.
> > If you build your container layers properly, you can effectively put
> > systemd in a base container and layer other applications in child
> > containers that inherit from it. One systemd installation can be used
> > by 1000's of child containers, making the overhead negligible.
>
> Initial deploy isn't insignificant, though, especially in the case
> where you're bringing up and down multiple hosts in a cluster.
>
> More importantly, rebuilding all of those child containers when there's
> a systemd change isn't negligible at all.

Well, how often are there systemd changes? Are you saying we update it
too often? That's news too me... I am pretty sure that systemd is
roughly updated as frequently as libc or so these days, i.e. maybe
once or twice per cycle... And you cannot get rid of the libc rebuilds
can you? So if you have to rebuild things once or twice per cycle
anyway, what are you trying to do?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat