Re: Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

On 11/09/2015 03:34 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 09.11.2015 um 23:57 schrieb Samuel Sieb:
On 11/09/2015 02:22 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 09.11.2015 um 22:31 schrieb Samuel Sieb:
So yes, I'm using 10 year old hardware with the latest Fedora and it
works great.  (I'll update them to F23 next time I'm there.)

well, i tell you know the same which was told me all the time before the
server spin "maybe you are using the wrong operating system" and frankly
for schools you typically use thin-cients one machine

I really wonder where you come from.  I have never seen a grade school,
public or private, that uses thin-clients

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/thin-clients/education.html

I didn't say they didn't exist. I've certainly heard of them and seen them in various places. I said in all the schools I've been in, I've never seen any actually deployed.

As for "wrong operating
system", do you have any suggestions for a different distribution that
is as up-to-date as Fedora that would work on these computers?

i don't get why i need the most up-to-date software when at the same
time i don't care about my hardware and run a P4 heater because that
indicates low requirements

What does low requirements have to do with up-to-date software? Why should I have to use an old version of LibreOffice just because I'm using a 10 year old computer when the latest version works perfectly well?

about money: with the energy costs i saved going away from P4 computers
many years ago my current one is already paied

I would be very surprised if the power savings are really that much. I will do a power check the next time I'm on site. Besides that, electricity is cheap here so it would take a very long time to recoup the cost of new computers.