Re: Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

On 11/09/2015 02:22 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 09.11.2015 um 22:31 schrieb Samuel Sieb:
I manage all the IT for a private school.  There is a computer lab for
the students to use.  They don't have the money to buy new computers,
the computers they have were donated.  They are P4 desktops from around
2005 and they have SSE2.  I install Fedora on all the computers and
laptops there that I manage. (The older students manage their own
laptops, but even some of them want Fedora installed as well.)  I
upgraded all the P4 desktops to 2GB RAM and with F22 using a non-3D WM
they work perfectly for student use.

So yes, I'm using 10 year old hardware with the latest Fedora and it
works great.  (I'll update them to F23 next time I'm there.)

well, i tell you know the same which was told me all the time before the
server spin "maybe you are using the wrong operating system" and frankly
for schools you typically use thin-cients one machine

I really wonder where you come from. I have never seen a grade school, public or private, that uses thin-clients. As for "wrong operating system", do you have any suggestions for a different distribution that is as up-to-date as Fedora that would work on these computers?

I've always run Fedora on my servers as well.

with the agrumentations of this thread hardware manufactuers could stop
develop new hardware capabilities if we wait 20 years to consider make
them default - in the IT 10 years is virtually forever and *yes* capable
hardware these days is cheap if you don't need that much performance

"Cheap"? I might be able to able to build a computer for $300, I haven't actually checked lately, that's what it was a few years ago. But for a computer lab? Why would they want to try to come up with that much money when the existing computers work perfectly?