Re: Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

On 02/01/15 11:42, Richard Hughes wrote:

Because as of now, gnome-software just doesn't fit the workstation bill

I think you're misunderstanding what most developers do. We probably
spend about 10 minutes installing development packages (on the command
line) when setting up a new OS instance. I then spend a year or so of
installing or removing the odd application, and a few minutes every
week applying updates. I don't think GNOME Software is hugely useful
for installing low-level developer packages, which is fine. It doesn't
mean it's not a useful application.

I don't know if "most" developers works with more or less just one toolchain and environment as you describe. At least "some" actually works in a lot of projects, with different development packages and sometimes also tools.

That said, what about describing the developer usecase as a project, focusing on a user using both GUI and CLI tools?

- Get the sources (if they exist).
- Install a toolchain, GUI-based or not.
- Install dependencies: -devel packages, interpreted modules, etc.
- Install project- or user-specific tools (GUI or not).
- Keeping the installed sw updated.

Installing the toolchain seems like DevAssistant to me. Besides this, I understand your position as if users are supposed to use yum/dnf except for GUI development tools and their dependencies (?)

To my mind, forcing user to the prompt to this extent is less than ideal. A GUI installer certainly has advantages even for an occasional CLI user. And having to use different installers is a Bad Thing.

Rather than talking in riddles in your emails, could you also please
suggest what needs to be done? Are you in favour of ripping out
gnome-software and installing yumex in the workstation image? Do you
have an alternate application proposal with design mockups?

At this point, I'm just trying to understand the usecase. Without that, decisions like using yumex instead of gnome-software makes no sense, nor does mock-ups. It's also a question to what extent upstream is willing to support this usecase.

That said, my gut feeling is that the balance between simplicity and functionality is quite different for a "novice user" and a developer and that this needs to be handled with different modes, views or so (if gnome-software should handle it). Adding things like random CLI applications, -devel packages etc. to the search result for a novice user is just not an option, agreed. But IMHO a developer probably needs it in some form.

Cheers!

--alec