Re: F21 downloads repository metadata in 3 places!

/*Matthias Clasen*/ wrote on Mon, 15 Dec 2014 12:38:54 -0500:
On Mon, 2014-12-15 at 18:01 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Robert Marcano wrote:
I don't know why the time to rebuild rpms is important, updates are now
applied at boot time, so rpms can be rebuilt with smaller nice/ionice
before the user reboots (on Workstation product).
Offline updates are only a (mis)feature of the GNOME "Workstation" product.
The tools shipped by all the other spins (Apper, Yumex) do immediate updates
as always.
...which brings this thread to the end of its useful life.

If you have constructive suggestions for how to improve detection of
'metered' connections, please direct them to the desktop list, or send
patches to the gnome-software component in bugzilla.
Just wanted to remind that I would like to see an 'integrated' approach. It doesn't help if PK decides to not download anything but DNF starts to refresh its cache when I'm on a 'metered' connection.

Also, any non-user-friendly approach is a no-go. If a first time GNU/Linux user which happens to use Fedora (which is rare these days, at least around me), come and tell me that Fedora has ate his 1 month internet credit, I'd prefer to tell him "Oh, sorry, you should use something like Ubuntu instead" rather than "You should open an application called 'Terminal', run a gsettings .... command, and then a 'systemctl mask ...' command to mask dnf makecache timer/service using sudo/su"; which will most probably cause him to run away from Fedora anyway (maybe back to Windows)!

Regards,
Hedayat