Re: fedora-release-$PRODUCT, /etc/issue, /etc/os-release, Per-Product Configs and more!

On 7 Jul 2014, at 11:17, Josh Boyer wrote:

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/06/2014 03:43 AM, William wrote:
On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 10:05 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

That's misleading.  Fedora hasn't been releasing
"do-it-yourself" releases.  Our previous install images were
composed and tested by QA, including testing fedup upgrades from
the previous release.  With Fedora.next, we don't have an install
image that is an equivalent of <= F20.

Perhaps I have missed them, but I've seen no discussion or plans
around testing upgrades to F21 from F20.  Unless the Products
intend to test upgrading from F20, and/or QA intends to somehow
test fedup from F20 to F21 in a non-product manner, we're
essentially changing the semantics of upgrades.  I agree it
should still work, but saying it's a continuation of existing
practice when it isn't is wrong.

josh

It's also misleading given how much focus has been given to the
three new products that will be released: So why now is there a
"non-productised" version? That's not been advertised much.

I honestly don't know how much more we could have advertised that.
We've been talking about it since the beginning. Particularly about
how the Fedora Products are additive to the classic Fedora and that
spins aren't going away (they're non-productized versions too).

You're talking about additive in the "they all use the same repos"
sense, but there is no planned install media that will be produced
similar to the F20 release.  There are the 3 products, and there are
the spins.  The product closest to the existing Fedora default is
Workstation, and we're targeting a live media as the primary
deliverable.  There have been 0 plans or discussions around
fedup/upgrades from F20 so far.

While I appreciate that the Fedora project has goals that it wants to achieve with the three new "products", I had assumed based on the explanations that I have read that:

1. There will not be any change in the repo structure -- no separate repos for separate "products".

2. For those of us who are not interested in the new "products" or do not find their minimum package assurances to be important in our use cases, there will still be a traditional "non-productized" Fedora.

3. There will still be plain "non-productized" versions of /etc/os- release (or wherever the systemd guys are relocating it) and /etc/ fedora-release.

4. There would be, at least, a net install CD to install a traditional "non-productized" Fedora system.

5. A fedup upgrade will be possible from a traditional "non- productized" Fedora 20 system to a traditional "non-productized" Fedora 21 system and, in due time, from traditional "non-productized" Fedora 21 to 22, etc.

Am I mistaken on any or all of this?

--
Mike Pinkerton