Re: The Forgotten "F": A Tale of Fedora's Foundations

Well my point is I spoke to Red Hat legal before I even posted the
original proposal to open up to more 3rd party repositories some
Months ago. There are a lot of repositories that it is perfectly
fine for Fedora to include from a legal perspective. But they will
need to be reviewed by legal on a case to case basis, going to legal
up front and saying 'hey can I include a hypothetical repository'
will only yield you the answer 'depends on the repository'.

So decisions need to be general to allow us to look for a variety of options
to fulfill them. Lets say Fedora decided we want to make it
easier for our users to get more multimedia codecs. We would not get the
go ahead from legal to include a repository which contains ffmpeg for
instance, but legal would probably be perfectly fine with including a
repository containing the Cisco H264 package or the Fluendo Mp3 plugin.

So in the end this is not a legal question which needs the involvement
of the lawyers at this point, but a question of the overall goals and values
 of Fedora, and how we best achieve those goals and values.

Basically we first need to agree on the 'design' before distracting ourselves
with 'implementation'.

Christian